Do you need to get rid of some stuff you have been keeping in a storage unit for a while? Maybe you’ve finally decided now is the time to tackle it all, after trying to forget about it!
Are you familiar with the stress and headache that comes with attempting to clear out a self storage unit. Clearing a storage container you haven’t visited in years, or have tried to forget about is not an exciting task, but one you will have to face up to at some point.
We’ve put together some great tips on how to best approach clearing out a storage unit.
1) Take an inventory of the storage unit contents
The first thing we recommend you should do is create an inventory list of everything that is inside your storage unit.It doesn’t have to be exact, but a rough idea will be good enough.
If you had been organised when you first put your items into storage and already have an inventory list, then you are one step ahead.
Consider these steps when assessing the unit!
- Jot down exactly what you see
Keep a pen and paper handy, and write down all the large items you immediately see in your storage unit. Then count the number of boxes you have. This will give a good enough indication of how much stuff you have to sort through.
- Look inside available boxes
Open as many boxes as you can and take a quick inventory of the contents. If you’re lucky enough to have boxes that are already labelled, you can skip this step.
If you give yourself a rough inventory before you start, you can get a good scope of what work you have to do.
2) Get some help from your friends and plan a day to declutter.
To ensure you don’t get overwhelmed, it’s essential to prepare yourself for what’s to come. Make sure to pick a day that you will attempt to declutter, and remember to bring things like moving supplies, rubbish bags etc.
Here’s a few questions you should ask yourself before getting started
How much time do you need?
Make sure you set aside enough time to complete your storage unit clear out. Your inventory list should give you a good enough indication of how much time is required.
How much help do I need?
It may be helpful to get someone to give you a hand while you are sorting through your self storage unit, especially if you have some heavy items you can’t shift on your own.
Do I have an emotional attachment to any of the stuff?
If you’re cleaning out sentimental items, it can often be an overwhelming process. This is normal, so don’t worry if you find yourself becoming emotional while going through some items you have inherited.
3) Sort all of your belongings into categories like keep, sell, toss.
To help you along your way, you could adopt the Four-Box Declutter method. An effective way to sort through and clean out items effectively from your self storage unit.
The keep box includes items you can remove from storage and bring back home
The store box sorts things that you plan to keep in storage.
The sell box will be for all the items you plan to sell
The last box is a toss box, which will include anything that is broken, and has no value in being kept.
4) Stay on task and get the job done
One of the biggest mistakes you can make when sorting through your storage unit is letting yourself get distracted, and not finishing on the time frame you had set. The saying “don’t put off till tomorrow what you can do today” comes to mind.
Here’s a few important pointers:
- Don’t take on large sections in random fashion. Start with a small area, and make sure to finish it before moving to the next section.
- Have a place for everything you’re removing from the storage unit. If you are clearing your unit make sure you actually have somewhere for this stuff to go.
- Challenge yourself to get rid of junk and unneeded items. Try not to transport too many items back home. Think about how you can get rid of stuff, so you don’t create a mess elsewhere.
5) Find the best ways to get rid of storage unit items.
- If you find you have a lot of valuable items to work your way through, it might make life easier to rent the storage unit for an extra month, while you go through everything.
- Consider getting rid of items in the following order:
- Firstly, get rid of all the rubbish in your storage unit, the stuff you know you have no use for.
- For items you are planning on donating, get in touch with a charity shop, and make sure they are happy to take some of your items.
- Next, load your vehicle- include all the items you plan to take home with you!
- Move all the stuff you are planning on selling to a designated place, this could be a section of your storage unit, or somewhere else.
6) Hire a rubbish removal company to help you out
If you have gone through your storage units, and still find yourself at a loss with some items, you can hire a removal man, who will take away all of your unwanted items.
Hopefully these tips will put you well on your way to clearing out your storage uni, and help you free up some space!