Self storage costs
When you’re downsizing your space but not your belongings we’ll help you understand self storage costs…and where savings can be made.
Maybe you’re moving house, having a decluttering session or planning some renovations? Perhaps you’re a business creating additional space for seasonal stock, or a start-up just looking for the flexibility self storage can provide?
When you’re starting to consider a budget, the cheapest form of storage is to give it to a friend, donate to charity or dump it. But before you take that decision, there are self storage options that offer great value, and cater for all budgets.
Storage prices and budget considerations
To help you answer the question of ‘How Much Does Self Storage Cost’, consider the following:
- What items are you intending to store? If you are lucky enough to have a fine art or wine collection, then a specialised temperature and climate controlled environment should be considered. If you have gold bullion – then we would recommend Fort Knox, not a self storage unit!
- Are you storing everyday belongings? Most of us have everyday items that have arrived in the home or office via a shipping container or on the back of a truck in the first place. Therefore to save on “specialist” storage costs – a dry, clean and well ventilated storage environment is recommended.
- Nice people to do business with? Choose who you store with carefully. What are their customers saying about them? Do they have the type of storage space you’re looking for? Does the company have the facilities you are after and are they conveniently located to you? Can they help you with extras like packing material, a ‘man with a van’, or even insurance? If you’re new to storage then don’t be afraid to ask!
Factors that affect self storage costs
Generally the storage price will depend on the size, location and how long you need the storage for.
- Size. Have you worked out what sized storage unit works best for you? Our Units guide will help figure this out, so you are not paying for more space than you need.
- Access. If you require regular access then choose a location that is convenient to you. Alternatively, if you’re willing to travel you might find something that works better with the resources you have available to you?
- Time. Whether you need storage for just a few weeks or a couple of years, consider what discounts are available and how long your current storage price is fixed for? You don’t want to move in on a cheap storage deal, only to find the price goes straight up!
Storage price considerations:
No one likes unexpected surprises, so just like a hotel room you may pay extra for certain features. You should ask:
- Is there a premium to pay for ground over upper level units?
- Are you paying for space restricted by sloping roofs or support columns?
- If you have heavy or bulky items and need the convenience of direct access from your vehicle to the front door..what are the options?
Other things you should think about:
- Access: Do you want the freedom to access your belonging at a time to suit you? If so then ask what the access hours are and is there a cost for extending these?
- Insurance: To protect you against loss or damage your items must be insured. Can you use your own existing home insurance? If you don’t have insurance, what is the additional cost when provided by the storage company?
- Padlock: You’re the only key holder to your storage unit at RedSpot, so you’ll need to budget for one. Although you can purchase one of ours, you can also bring your own.
- Deposit: Once you move into a storage unit you’ll generally be asked to pay a returnable deposit. Ask how much this is and if there are ways that it can be reduced?
How to get what you pay for
There are cheap, low cost or budget options for everything. But, if you are like most of our customers, ‘great value’ is the real cost of storage.
We have 100’s of reviews from our lovely customers, and part of this success is due to our ability to provide worthwhile storage solutions supported by first class customer service.
If that’s not enough to convince you to trust us with your valuable belongings, we back this up with our 100% Money Back Guarantee.